Tuesday 27 September 2011

Lunch Today/ Tabouleh Goodness

So... was it glamorous? No. Was it homemade? No. Was it absolutely delicious?! You betcha!

With the weather heating up here all I wanted today was a salad for lunch. Now, considering this morning I was running really late I didn't have time to whip up a tasty salad for my lunch so the only option was to purchase one. So, this morning I popped into the nearest supermarket and grabbed a store bought, plastic clad salad. And to be honest... it was awesome! I just love tabouleh, particularly at this time of the year, the freshness of the parsely with the tomatoes and dressing... mmhmm.
I do, on the occasion where I am not running ridiculously late in the mornings, like to make my own tabouleh at home and thought I would share the recipe. It's easy and great for entertaining as all you need is 4 basic ingredients and a good quality olive oil.

Tabouleh Recipe
Ingredients:
1/3 cup Burghul (cracked wheat)
2 bunches parsely (Either flat or curly leaf. I use a combination of the 2)
1 spanish onion
1 large tomato
1 large lemon, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil

How to make it:
1. In a bowl, place burgul and cover with cold water, set aside until soft (usually about 45 minutes)
2. Finely chop parsely, spanish onion and tomato and place in a large salad bowl. Discard any large parsely stalks
3. Once the burghul is softened, drain through a sieve, pushing down on the burgul with the back of a spoon to get rid of all the excess moisture
4. Add burgul to parsely, tomato and onion
5. Dress with a little salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil

Eat and enjoy!
And this is what I followed up my tasty, tasty salad with...

The sweetest strawberries I have ever eaten!
We are currently growing strawberries at home, however they are neither this big nor this red, they are still somewhat smallish and green. Definitely not yet suitable for lunch!

There you have it, this was my lunch today, not particularly stylish but damn tasty!

Also, before I forget, the drink bottle in the background of the tabouleh pic is my "never leave my side" item of the moment! Made by Aladdin, BPA free and as it holds 300ml, perfectly sized for my handbag and not so big that I get daunted by the thought of having to drink al lthat water. I know, i need to drink more water but I just struggle *sigh*.

You can check out all Aladdin, earth friendly and reusable products here. These are, unlike my lunch, very stylish!

No comments:

Post a Comment